Larry Ferlazzo’s article on WHAT DO YOU DO IN THE COMPUTER LAB provides excellent insight into today’s dilemma for so many elementary educators. Many students still need to learn that computers are not simply toys but are gateways to further their education. In fact, one of the goals of technology education is to teach kids how to use computer lab software in a way that will make them productive members of the 21st century. Larry’s suggests that we use computers more to reinforce key concepts.
Here are examples of items that illustrate how computers can be used by the elementary teachers
1. Youblisher – Publish PDFs as Online Magazines
2. Google Earth Across the Curriculum – not just for social studies and this link provides further examples. And view this PDF on google earth.
3. Google Earth Layer About the Earthquake in Haiti
4. Active Science – Interactive Periodic Table and other elearning experiences
5. Google Docs Options where you can create, manage and share documents online
6. Placefy: A Picture-Based Geography Game is fun geographic game that teaches you about world cities in pictures.