Over the past week I have gathered several rubrics for my artclass. Yet one I like the layout and wanted to share the form. I created the form so that each teacher can add / fill in sections to fit the art project.
Download the pdf here RUBRIC FORM
You should be able to edit the form, add your own text, and create a rubric to fit your class needs.
If you need help with the form or suggestions, please email me…
This year I was asked to look into salt dough ornaments for the students. The teacher wanted a small colorful item they could glue the students class photo on the back, as a gift from student to parent.
Not having done this project before (really!) I experiment with the material before submitting to the homeroom teachers for approval.
I used 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of salt and 1/2 of water. Mixed, rolled to 1/4″ thickness and baked at 200 degrees for six hours. The above image is the baked tags. After cooling I painted the tags with Daniel Smith Luminescent aztec gold acrylic paint, highlighted by red watercolor. I allowed the paint to dry overnight.
I was able to download a collection of holiday clip art images to collage over the tag. Using Daniel Smith acrylic medium gloss, I coated the tag, and applied the handtorn images, covering the corners with white tissue paper, and recoating the whole tag with medium gloss. I then worked small areas of the tag with the gold paint, trying to obtain a better merge of image and tag. Small amount of epson salt was adhered to the side to keep with the holiday theme.
I was inspired by a lesson for kids that involved bubble art. Having completed the project myself with food coloring, I wanted a deeper color for my art journal lessons with upper grades.
I used Dawn dish soap, Dick Blick watercolors, and water. Made up a rich batch of colors to create bubble backgrounds. I started with yellows, mixed in some reds, and finished with oranges.
Once dry I mixed up soap, black glue, and water to create an shadowy effect over the color.
I think this will create a great background for art journal pages, and hopefully inspire the students to create rich artful pages.
Over the past few weeks I notice two art projects tagged in Pinterest I wanted to teach my students. One a black glue drawing with watercolor resist, and the other a black glue drawing with the side of a credit card.
Using the inspiration from a local River Birch I began to created. I had one white glue about half full, and squirted in all of the black acrylic paint I had. Mixing was not easy, and I was determined not to get another tool dirty. I selected a large sheet of Bristol paper, and my Costco card, and poured a large amount of black glue on a sheet of glass. In the classroom I would use left over cardboard.
Dragging my credit card through the glue I went up and down the paper. Stings of glue fell over my sheet, like fine branches, a very happy accident. I moved the card up and down, left and right, thinking this would look like bark. Three trees, some branches, time to stop. Walk away. I allowed the sheet to dry over night.
The next day I washed the whole sheet with a light yellow water color, heavy with water, and sprinkled sea salt over the sheet. And allowed it to dry. Knocking the dry salt off, I went over the sheet with yellow watercolor to highlight the light and dark areas, watercolor wash in the bark areas with red, orange and yellow tones. Once dry again, I washed the complete image with a light wash of blue to fill in the very top and very bottom of the image.
In the classroom I would see this project as a two or three day project. Incorporate another project with it, and work on two projects at the sametime, one always in a state of drying.