I always wanted to create printing plates and rubberstamps from this material, and this was a perfect time to experiment before the school year starts.
Using a wine cork I coated the ends with rubber cement, and allowed it to dry. Then peeled off a few letters and stuck them to the cork. Trimming off the excess. I first tried a used rubberstamp pad and then rolling acrylic paint out and inking with a brayer. Both worked well, however a rubberstamp pad would allow the younger student to be sucessful with a first try.
I found an old rubberstamp and removed the old foam stamp impression and adheared the foam stickers. These stuck very well to wood and required no prep work. I used the random shapes and lines. I stamped on two sheets of watercolor paper. The abstract designs and splashes of color made for an interesting effect.
I then used the remaining foam sheet. Sticking all of the shapes down to a stiff sheet of cardboard. Inked the plate using Daniel Smith Water based printing inks. Worked the ink with a brayer and rolled it onto the plate. I printed on a scrap of printmaking paper and rubbed with a Speedball Baren.
I was happy with the results of my quick work, and will introduce this project to my class in September.