Booklet Binding for Art Journal
I followed the instructions found at two sites: Sketchbooks and from James Darrow. Here is my binding:
Not a big book, but enough to show the students an example, and a good starting point.
I will take rubber cement and block out areas, randomly, to perserve the white space. Then wash over the background with yellow, and any other color left in the water color mixing tray. Heavy wash areas receive sea salt. Allow it to dry and rewash the background with a browns and reds.
Rubber cement wash over areas of two pages to retain white areas
watercolor wash in yellow
highlights of red over pages
Drawing and collage elements up next.
I was inspired by a lesson for kids that involved bubble art. Having completed the project myself with food coloring, I wanted a deeper color for my art journal lessons with upper grades.
I used Dawn dish soap, Dick Blick watercolors, and water. Made up a rich batch of colors to create bubble backgrounds. I started with yellows, mixed in some reds, and finished with oranges.
Once dry I mixed up soap, black glue, and water to create an shadowy effect over the color.
I think this will create a great background for art journal pages, and hopefully inspire the students to create rich artful pages.
Over the past few weeks I notice two art projects tagged in Pinterest I wanted to teach my students. One a black glue drawing with watercolor resist, and the other a black glue drawing with the side of a credit card.
Using the inspiration from a local River Birch I began to created. I had one white glue about half full, and squirted in all of the black acrylic paint I had. Mixing was not easy, and I was determined not to get another tool dirty. I selected a large sheet of Bristol paper, and my Costco card, and poured a large amount of black glue on a sheet of glass. In the classroom I would use left over cardboard.
Dragging my credit card through the glue I went up and down the paper. Stings of glue fell over my sheet, like fine branches, a very happy accident. I moved the card up and down, left and right, thinking this would look like bark. Three trees, some branches, time to stop. Walk away. I allowed the sheet to dry over night.
The next day I washed the whole sheet with a light yellow water color, heavy with water, and sprinkled sea salt over the sheet. And allowed it to dry. Knocking the dry salt off, I went over the sheet with yellow watercolor to highlight the light and dark areas, watercolor wash in the bark areas with red, orange and yellow tones. Once dry again, I washed the complete image with a light wash of blue to fill in the very top and very bottom of the image.
In the classroom I would see this project as a two or three day project. Incorporate another project with it, and work on two projects at the sametime, one always in a state of drying.
Last school year I was asked to work with the third grade class and create a class auction project for a fundraising event.
As a quick introduction to me and the art project, the class created simple paper weaving with construction paper from the recycling bind in the workroom. Our next meeting the students created colorful paper for the project.
Each student received a small sheet of Bristol paper, watercolor from Daniel Smith Art, brush and cup of water. We reviewed wet-on-wet, blowing color around, removing color with towels, and adding sea salt while drying. At our next class the small sheets were dry, cut into short thin strips, reserving a 3″ x 4″ square for weaving.
Students were encouraged to exchange strips to create a variety of visual colors in the weaving. In addition, each student chose a inspirational quote from the bible to incorporate into their weaving. When the student completed their weaving, mounted them on black foamcore board, adding additional strips to join each work together. The project was then framed and offered for sale.